The primary goal of Yembo’s Code of Conduct is to foster inclusive, collaborative and safe working conditions for all Yembo staff. As such, Yembo is committed to providing a friendly, safe and welcoming environment for all staff, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, ability, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, and religion (or lack thereof). This code of conduct outlines our expectations for all Yembo staff, as well as the consequences for unacceptable behavior.
The Code of Conduct applies to all Yembo staff. This includes full-time, part-time and contractor staff employed at every seniority level. The Code of Conduct is to be upheld during all professional functions and events, including but not limited to business hours at the Yembo office, during Yembo-related extracurricular activities and events, while attending conferences and other professional events on behalf of Yembo, and while working remotely and communicating on Yembo resources with other staff.
We expect all Yembo staff to abide by this Code of Conduct in all business matters -- online and in-person -- as well as in all one-on-one communications with customers and staff pertaining to Yembo business.
This Code of Conduct also applies to unacceptable behavior occurring outside the scope of business activities when such behavior has the potential to adversely affect the safety and well-being of Yembo staff and clients.
Code of Conduct
Yembo thrives in its diversity - no matter what background, race, ethnicity, or gender we identify with. As such, employees should strive for respect, honesty, responsibility, and integrity while working together and representing Yembo.
We are focused on our company's mission and vision, and do not encourage the discussion of divisive issues that distract from our goals or interfere with our team's progress. While we respect each employee's own political and philosophical views, we ask that you not discuss them in company channels, e-mails, meetings, etc. as this may lead to heated discussions or arguments that could damage our team's dynamic and overall work relationships.
Language or conduct that is disrespectful, discriminatory, or derogatory towards Yembo employees and our clients in any format or mode of communication will not be tolerated and will be subject to immediate disciplinary action.
Yembo will conduct business honestly and ethically wherever operations are maintained. We strive to improve the quality of our services, products, and operations and will maintain a reputation for honesty, fairness, respect, responsibility, integrity, trust, and sound business judgment. All of our employees are also expected to adhere to high standards of business and personal integrity when representing Yembo.
We expect that employees will not knowingly misrepresent Yembo and will not speak on behalf of the company unless specifically authorized to do so. The confidentiality of trade secrets, proprietary information, and similar confidential commercially-sensitive information (i.e. financial or sales records/reports, marketing or business strategies/plans, product development, customer lists, patents, trademarks, etc.) about Yembo's operations, or that of our customers or partners, should be treated with discretion and only shared on a need-to-know basis.
A violation of our Code of Conduct can result in thorough investigation and discipline, up to and including termination of employment.
Policy Against Unlawful Harassment
- The Company prohibits harassment on the basis of race, color, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), gender, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information and characteristics, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected under federal, state, or local laws.
- The Company does not tolerate harassment of employees because of a protected characteristic in the workplace or in a work-related situation. This policy applies to all persons involved in the operation of the Company and prohibits harassment by any employee of the Company, including coworkers, supervisors, managers, as well as third parties such as vendors, clients, independent contractors, suppliers, and any other persons. Violation of this policy will result in discipline, up to and including termination.
- Prohibited harassment in employment may take many different forms. Some examples are:
- Verbal conduct such as epithets, derogatory comments, slurs, unwanted comments, or jokes;
- Physical conduct such as blocking normal movement, restraining, touching, or otherwise physically interfering with the work of another individual; and,
- Visual conduct such as derogatory or inappropriate posters, cartoons, drawings, websites or gestures;
- Threatening or demanding that an individual submit to certain conduct or perform certain actions in order to keep or get a job, to avoid some other loss, or as a condition of job benefits, security, or promotion.
- Sexual harassment warrants special emphasis and will not be tolerated by the Company. Sexual harassment may take various forms. It may include behavior listed above with a sexual connotation, but also includes unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature when:
- Submission to such conduct is made either explicitly or implicitly a term or condition of an individual’s employment;
- Submission to or rejection of such conduct by an individual is used as the basis for employment decisions affecting such individual; or
- Such conduct has the purpose or effect of unreasonably interfering with an individual’s work performance or creating an intimidating, hostile, or offensive working environment.
Policy Against Abusive Conduct
- The Company defines bullying as “repeated inappropriate behavior, either direct or indirect, whether verbal, physical or otherwise, conducted by one or more persons against another or others, at the place of work and/or in the course of employment.” The Company will not tolerate bullying behavior. Employees found in violation of this policy will be disciplined up to and including termination.
- Bullying may be intentional or unintentional. However, it must be noted that where an allegation of bullying is made, the intention of the alleged bully may be irrelevant and will normally not be given consideration when determining an appropriate response, including discipline. As with harassment, it is the effect of the behavior upon the individual that is important. The Company considers the following types of behavior to be some non-exhaustive examples of bullying:
- Verbal bullying: Slandering, ridiculing or maligning a person or his/her family; persistent name calling that is hurtful, insulting or humiliating; using a person as the butt of jokes; abusive and offensive remarks; excessive “prank” jokes or teasing of an employee.
- Physical bullying: Pushing, shoving, kicking, poking, tripping, assault or threat of physical assault; damage to a person’s work area or property.
- Gesture bullying: Nonverbal threatening gestures or glances that convey threatening messages.
- Performance bullying: Unwarranted or invalid criticism; blame without factual justification; excessive performance monitoring ; sabotage of a co-worker’s work product or undermining of an employee’s work performance
- Exclusion: Socially or physically excluding or disregarding a person in work-related activities; and being treated differently than the rest of your work group.
- General: Any other conduct that a reasonable person would find hostile, offensive, threatening, intimidating, and/or humiliating and unrelated to the Company’s legitimate business interests.
- The Company considers workplace bullying unacceptable, and will not tolerate it under any circumstances. Managers and supervisors assume the responsibility to ensure employees are not bullied. Any employee who bullies a co-worker will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
- The Company encourages all employees to report workplace bullying to a member of management with whom you are comfortable speaking, or directly to the Director of People Ops. All complaints of workplace bullying will be treated seriously and investigated promptly. In the investigation process, the Company will attempt to maintain confidentiality to the extent possible. It is a violation of company policy to retaliate or otherwise victimize an employee who makes a complaint or a witness who serves in the investigation of the workplace bullying allegation.
- Furthermore, the Company prohibits abusive conduct in the workplace. “Abusive conduct” includes workplace conduct that a reasonable person would find hostile, offensive, and unrelated to the Company’s legitimate business interests. It may also include repeated infliction of verbal abuse, such as the use of derogatory remarks, insults, and epithets, verbal or physical conduct that a reasonable person would find threatening, intimidating, or humiliating, or the gratuitous sabotage or undermining of a person’s work performance.
Complaint and Investigation Procedure
- Employees who believe they have been subjected to conduct in violation of the policies detailed above, and/or have witnessed or are aware of violations of the Company’s EEO and anti-harassment policy, are requested and encouraged to promptly report such violations to their supervisor, management, and to the Director of People Ops. Employees are not required to complain directly to their immediate supervisor and may speak with any supervisor or the Director of People Ops about their concerns. Any supervisor who receives a complaint of conduct that violates the Company's policies detailed above must report it immediately to the Director of People Ops in order to aid in internal resolution of the claim.
- The Company will promptly review, thoroughly and fairly investigate complaints, and take such action as is warranted under the circumstances. While the Company cannot guarantee absolute confidentiality, the employee’s identity and report will be kept as confidential as reasonably possible in order for the Company to investigate the complaint.
- If it is determined that evidence of a violation exists, the Company will take prompt remedial action as warranted by the circumstances. This action may include disciplinary action, up to and including immediate termination.
- The Company strictly prohibits retaliation against any employee who brings a complaint of harassment or discrimination to the attention of management or who participates in any workplace investigation.